Monday, February 22, 2010

Allow me to introduce myself...

I'm Alyssa Siler, Mrs. Greater Edmond. That's me you see up there (just take away the bangs and picture the hair much longer. I promise new headshots are on the way!) I am competing in the Mrs. Oklahoma America pageant on April 17th in Guthrie, OK. My main reason for competing is my daughter, Hayden. She was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at birth three and a half years ago and since then, I have been very driven to do what I can to help find her cure. I have been involved in many different committees and events within the foundation but this year I felt called to do something on a bigger scale - something that could reach a larger number of people. There is no denying that having a "title" of some kind can open doors for you that never would have opened otherwise. I can't deny the new opportunites to raise both funds and awareness for the disease that could come with winning Mrs. Oklahoma. That is what led me to this pageant (it certainly wasn't a strong desire to wear a swimsuit in front of hundreds of people!) and I am excited to be a part of it. I plan on having a lot of fun on this journey!

I thought I would take up some space to let you know a little about me. I grew up in Edmond, Oklahoma and am proud to still live there today. I have been married to my husband, Ryan, for almost seven years (we are a blind date success story!) and we have a beautiful little girl, Hayden, who is three and a half. I am primarily a stay-at-home mom but I also model part-time. I am the leading female vocalist in the band True North and we lead contemporary worship each Sunday at our church.

I grew up performing in music theatre and actually chose that as my major at the University of Central Oklahoma. Well, for the first three years anyway. The summer before my senior year, reality hit. I realized I was too much of a princess to move by myself to NYC and rough it as a waitress, running from audition to audition just trying for a chance on Broadway. Now, had someone offered me a lead role in a Broadway musical and a loft in the Upper East Side things might have been different...

Anyway, since (shockingly) that didn't happen, I switched my major to public relations. While I don't recommend switching your major in your senior year, I'm glad I did. Making the decision to stay close to home paid off because the next month I met Mr. Ryan Siler. Six months later we were engaged and, a year and a week from the day we met, we were married. He is my best friend and I am so blessed to have him in my life.

During my time at UCO, I competed in the Miss UCO pageant and I won! This was the first pageant I had ever done so it was kind of a shock to me. I went on to compete at Miss Oklahoma that summer. I did well for a first year girl. I won Rookie of the Year, the Newcomer Talent Award and I made the Top Ten. Everyone assumed I would want to go back the next year...but they were wrong.

At that time, I was a sophomore in college who was pretty much wrapped up in...well, herself. My life was all about performing and, at that time, I looked at the Miss UCO pageant as another opportunity on stage. More importantly, it was an opportunity to get a new pretty dress! Now I still love pretty dresses, don't get me wrong, but as I look back on that time I realize that it wasn't about much more than that. It was at Miss Oklahoma that I got a dose of reality. I had a platform issue that I had chosen because I had to have one. When I got there I was surrounded by girls that were passionate about their causes. In fact, it was their reason for being there. I was humbled. I didn't want to go back the next year because I would have felt like a fraud. That system was about way more than talent or wardrobe - something I didn't realize until I was there.

And now here I am - in another pageant. The difference this time is that my platform issue is my biggest reason for competing. I didn't want the title of Miss Oklahoma because I could not picture myself traveling the state to speak to children and adults about my cause. Now the thought of traveling and telling people about cystic fibrosis is what is driving me to win. I WANT TO WIN THIS TIME. Better than that, I want to win Mrs. America! Now, don't get me wrong, I still have a pretty dress to wear (omg, I love my dress!). I still love fashion and makeup (major understatement) as much as anybody - but it's not about me this time. It's about something much bigger. From the time she was born, I have felt that God blessed me with Hayden because He knew I would do something to fight for her. So here I go.....I'm ready to fight!

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, I didn't know your pageant history. I look forward to hearing more about your life! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Alyssa!
    I spent my days and many evenings in the UCO Music Building between 1998-2003. While I played clarinet in the Wind Ensemble you were majoring in theatre. I have a couple of friends that were in the Miss UCO Pageant the same year you competed. You were all so wonderful! I'm glad I wasn't a judge. = ) I always thought you were a fantastic vocalist, performer, and were well-liked by everyone.
    I had one of my first encounters with CF through another friend of mine I met through UCO School of Music. Her husband lost his battle with CF last June.
    My husband is a third year Medical Student out here in St. Louis. I'm still very much connected with my family and friends back in Edmond and Oklahoma City. I'd love to help you as much as I'm able to. I'll be spreading the word of your platform and praying for you from St. Louis.
    Please know that you have my support 100%!


    Blessings to you and your family!

    Jennifer McCoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Tach Disease,Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck,XoXo****
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)  

    ReplyDelete