Thursday, May 6, 2010

CFF Stairclimb

The CF Foundation's Oklahoma City chapter had a new fundraising event this year and it was extremely successful for its first year! The CF Stairclimb took place this past Sunday at OU's football field and raised over $11,000! Jackie Miller, a former track star for OU, and Kim Norvell, wife of wide receiver coach Jay Norvell, both have cystic fibrosis and together they came up with the idea for this fundraiser. After people paid their entry fee, they would choose to enter either the JV, Varsity or Professional level. Junior Varsity had to go up and down the stairs twice, the Varsity climbers had to do four times, and the Professional team had to climb eight times! I was asked to pass out the awards to the overall winners and the winners from each category.
Here I am in my official Stairclimb t-shirt!

You'll notice these pictures are much better than my Derby pictures. That's because they were taken by my friend Molly who came with me. She is a professional photographer. I need to start taking her with me everywhere! Here we are...
Ok, so for some reason I thought I should try to climb all of these stairs. This was not a brilliant idea for many reasons, the main ones being that I was in flipflops and I am sooo not althetic in any way, shape or form.I'm feeling pretty good about myself here.Ah, yes. The thumbs up. If only I'd know at the time what my calves were going to feel like the next morning. Again - no altheticism of any kind.Ok, I really did set out to look as queenly as possible - well, as queenly as someone can look in a t-shirt and shorts - but I was NOT going to get a farmer's tan (or burn in my case) so.....
I know. Classy, right? It was hot out there! Molly spotted members of the football team and had to have a picture.
Here I am with the band, Born in November. They provided music during the climb and were awesome! Here's a picture of the crowd:Here are the lovlies at the registration table:After the first air horn blow, the men were off!Then it was the girls' turns!
Then it was awards time! It's so wonderful talking to a crowd of people passionate about making a difference for CF!
Coach Jay Norvell
Woohoo!It was a wonderful event - one that I really hope they do again next year. I think it really has the potential to grow from year to year. Our CF walk is this Saturday so watch for pictures soon!

1 comment:

  1. great idea! i would be SO afraid that i would fall... seriously.

    ReplyDelete