Thursday, June 10, 2010

Ponca City Herb Festival/Splash for CF

I have grown up visiting Ponca City numerous times each year. My mother is from Ponca and my grandparents and cousin still live there. This past weekend I was asked to be a part of two different events going on there. The first event was their annual herb festival. I hadn't ever been to this festival before and I very much enjoyed it. In addition to all the fresh herbs and flowers, there were many different booths set up where people were selling their crafts and decor. I was asked to attend the vine cutting ceremony at the beginning of the festival and say a few words.

They started off with the mayor cutting the vine.Then I was introduced to the crowd by one of the board members of the festival. I had a chance to welcome everyone to the event, tell them about my ties to Ponca City and, OF COURSE, talk a little bit about CF :)With mayor, Homer Nicholson
After I was finished speaking, Ryan and I took Hayden to the children's tent where she made a beautiful princess hat!She was very proud of this hat! She wore it all over the festival grounds!




The other reason I was in Ponca City was to take part in an exciting fundraiser called "Splash for CF". After I won, a press release about me was printed in the Ponca City paper. Soon after, I received a phone call from Kelly Johnson, owner of Quality Water in Ponca. He told me that his main supplier of his chemicals has a national fundraising campain for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and that the supplier encourages all local stores to participate. He asked if I would be willing to come up and help them by being a part of their event. So Quality Water put on a big beach party! They had people sponsored to swim laps in the pool and they cooked out food all day long. The local radio station was on hand and a local teenager named Wesley, who has CF, was also there to make the event even more personal. For my part, Kelly and I came up with the idea for "Princess Photos". Little girls could come in and have their picture taken with me for $5 and all the money would go to CF. A professional photographer donated her time and set up a backdrop so the pictures looked more official. Parents could immediately look at the pictures on the computer, pick out their favorite, and have them printed right there on the spot. Many of them had me autograph them before they left. I had so much fun!
Here is part of the poster they designed for the event.
The first little princess of the day!
Being interviewed live on-air by DJ Sean Anderson for 100.7 fm KPNCLook at this precious doll! Aaaaaaand....someone brought in their dog :)
This lovely couple brought in a picture of their granddaughter, Cameryn, who has CF. She lives in Wichita and couldn't be there but they asked me to take a picture with her photo. They told me of the great success Cameryn has had with one of the clinical trials! It gave me goose bumps just listening to them talk about it! That is what these dollars raised are doing!!! My cousin Mark's son, Kelby, was swimming laps to raise money.
Here's Hayden modeling the lovely crowns each little girl received when they came in for their picture.
Me, Ryan and Hayden with my cousin Mark, his wife Marcy, and their son Kelby. We loved getting to spend time with them.
Both events were very fun and getting to stay with my family made it a fun little getaway for my family. I so appreciate Quality Water putting together such a wonderful event! I hope they'll have me back next year!
Lily Pulitzer outfit provided by Dillards Penn Square

No comments:

Post a Comment